3.04.2008

more firsts!

7:25 am Genoa 3.5.08

I had another (dubious) first last night – my first bad dream in Italy. I dreamt that I was in class (studying paleography, I think) taught by the postdoc at Stanford who first pointed me in the direction of Genoa. My sister was in the class. I was excited to be there, for whatever reason, until I remembered that I was supposed to be in Genoa, at which point I panicked and didn’t remember either having a ticket to go back or a good reason for coming home early. I continued to flip out about not being able to do my work until I woke up in the middle of the night and remembered where I actually was.

Perhaps my brain is broken, because this makes absolutely no sense. Ironic, even, because last night I was feeling like I wanted to be at home and not in Genoa. Doubly so, since on waking up and finding myself here I was momentarily relieved. But when panic subsided, I only felt more (not less) homesick, a feeling that has stayed with me pretty much all day.

3 comments:

dirteens said...

since i'm at home, i'm not homesick but i miss you very much so i suppose i'm "jeffsick."

Steve O said...

I'm frequently jeffsick. I have found that codeine eases the symptoms, if not the disease.

dirteens said...

mmmmmm.... codeine. i should try some of that.