2.28.2008

Sleep with one eye o-open, gripping your pil-low ti-ight!

My apartment was broken into while I was out at the archives two days ago. Sucks! Actually, it sucks to be the thieves, mostly, because all they got off of me for their effort (they actually did a visible amount of damage to the door) was about 3 or 4 euros in change from a cup on my desk. You mean they didn't want my Italian-English dictionary or my book of medieval Latin abbreviations? Suffice it to say, I have been using the chain when I'm at home since and took one or two trips around the apartment with a very pointy kitchen implement when I returned home at around 6:30 two days ago to find the door chipped and ajar.

It's likely that what happened is that I didn't slide the door bolts all the way into the door before I left for the day, so since I've been taking extra precautions to make sure that the place is sealed tight before I go in the morning. The landlady came by today at lunch to do some quick cleaning, and I filled her in on the situation and it seems like everything is going to be just fine. For whatever reason, I'm not nearly as bothered by this as I think I ought to be. In fact, I slept better the night after than I have since I've been to Italy. Who would have thought?

2 comments:

dirteens said...

holy crap!!!!!!!!! i am so glad you weren't around when the thieves came in. do you think they were mafia... or gypsies?

i'm so glad to hear you are sleeping better, even if it is thievery that makes you sleep through the night.

jdm said...

Hmmm. I should develop some kind of elaborate and fantastical explanation for this kind of thing. What I know so far: they had a crowbar.