My first dinner out by myself was the highlight of the trip so far. Sure, I can’t afford to blow 40€ on food every day (much less just on dinner) for the rest of the trip, but since I’ve been feeling down (and since I skipped lunch) I went ahead and threw down for a full-on three course extravaganza. Plus, I have now ascertained that there is at least one ATM in the city of
Second, I had some fish with pasta. I ought to have written down the name of the fish (with what? I had no pen…) for it was not one I had heard of before, so unfortunately all I can tell you is it was fish bits and pasta on a plate with a bit of clear-ish sauce. I can also tell you it was delicious – despite having eaten a whole tray of bread (other tables with 6+ people got the same tray I did by myself) and a surprisingly large appetizer (two other people could likely have shared with me) I ate the whole plate in record time. That’s what you get, I guess, when your lunch consists of a 30 Euro-cent apple bought at around 3:45 PM.
Third, I had a tuna steak with what I took to be a DIY salad on the plate. There were (besides the fish) quartered tomatoes, lettuce, balsamic vinegar, lettuce of two kinds, a pile of what might have been anchovy bits (small, grey vaguely fishy cubes) and a dollop of mild green sauce. Frankly, I’m having a hard time describing it accurately. Who would have thought that paying attention to Top Chef might actually have been good for something? It’s probably better that I not remember it too clearly anyway, since I’m going to adopt a more monk-like dining sensibility, probably somewhere between the followers of Benedict and Francis.
2 comments:
At first I thought you might have tried the Italian version of local Missouri wine, but maybe it was just bad...as in spoiled. the following is from wine.com...of course it is suspect having been written by the winemaker...
winemaker's notes:
Located in Monterotondo, the heart of Gavi DOC, Villa Sparina was founded by Mario Moccagatta. The winery is currently run by Mario, along with his two sons Stefano and Massimo. Head enologist Beppe Caviola, one of the foremost winemakers in Piemonte, has brought Gavi to new heights exploring the full potential of the Cortese grape. All of the Villa Sparina wine are produced from estate grown fruit and are estate bottled. The vineyards are overseen by agronomist Federico Curtaz, formerly of Gaja. They are increasingly oriented towards reducing yields, in an effort to achieve the highest possible quality. Harvest is delayed until the last possible moment, giving the wines great concentration and a wonderful balance of acidity and fruit.
A Customer - Los Angeles, California
Very delightful, light with a sweet finish. A great young wine, I highly recommend it.
A Customer - California
I first tasted the Villa Sparina on a trip to Italy. It is an excellent wine. Crisp and clean. Excellent with cheeses and fruits. I'd rate it 88.
j, i know it must be really odd eating out in a foreign country by yourself... but i have always wanted to be the mysterious individual in a restaurant eating alone and looking aloof and cool. i'm sure that's just how you appeared. of course, you are also starting to double as a food critic, so you're also living one of my dreams. i think i'll check out chowhound to see if they have any genoa recommendations for you.
Post a Comment