4.26.2004

What, no pitchforks?

so Monday has come, and nearly gone, and I have yet to see or hear a single irate customer in our office. I was all set to pacify (or failing that, physically subdue) Joe Homeowner when he came roaring into the office, waving his arms and yelling incoherently at the top of his lungs. so it turns out that most of the people coming into the office have been pretty calm and eminently reasonable. the phones, while busy, have been managed smoothly, without too much difficulty (one guy did get put on hold for nearly 5 whole minutes). one gentleman actually came in and, rather than complain about his taxes going up, steadfastly insisted that we INCREASE his assessed value.

when I stop to think about it, I probably should have known that nothing would come of the whole tax increase issue. so little happens around these parts that everyone seems to jump at the chance (any chance) to get worked up into a frenzy or activity. realistically, I should probably have expected today's office events to be billed as "Office Event Turns Out to Be Non-Event" or perhaps "County Employees Forced to Manufacture Own Excitement" rather than the less likely (but much more dramatic) "County Employee Impaled by Pitchfork Over Tax Row."

changing gears abruptly, what are you planning to do for Take Your Child to Work day?

also, as a public service announcement I'd like to put this out there: The Punisher is the worst movie that I can remember seeing, ever. do not see this movie. you will regret it. if forced to describe the movie, I would say that the experience of watching it was not unlike simultaneously being shot in the throat with a crossbow and watching yourself get shot in the throat with a crossbow. I cannot think of anything with fewer redeeming features than this movie. do not ever see this movie. if I find out that you went ahead and saw this movie after I told you not to, I'll probably stop being friends with you. or at the very least I'll punch you once or twice and call you names or something. I hate to say it, but the Dolph Lundgren version is probably a better movie.

No comments: