I have been thinking of getting a tattoo for a very long time. Approximately 6 years, by my count, though it is worth noting that in mind-time the time between September 15 and now was at least 2 years. I have discussed this idea with a number of people, some of whom were extremely supportive, others of whom thought that my idea was, perhaps, a bit overwrought, to wit:
a bald eagle is riding on a
motorcycle Harley, and flames are shooting out of the tailpipes while a busty blonde in a bikini is riding behind him. he is wearing shades. and smoking a cigarette. she is holding a pitcher of beer in both hands, and beer is slopping out of the top of both pitchers. he is cradling a sawed-off shotgun in one wing, and a large flag in the other, emblazoned with 'Don't tread on me.' Over the whole design is written in very large star-spangled (capital) letters, THESE COLORS DONT (sic) RUN and maybe also SIC SEMPER TYRRANIS underneath, also star-spangled.
Seriously, though I was actually of getting something inked in Latin. Perhaps a couple of lines from the vulgate, or perhaps a longer segment of some other work, like
De contemptu mundi, shorter work to be written wrapping around the arm below the elbow where it could still be concealed under half-rolled up sleeves, longer work perhaps on a shoulder.
Either way, I got some pushback about this idea over lunch today and realized I have only a series of half-baked explanations for how this could be a good idea. Does this mean I shouldn't go through with it? Discuss. Best responses to be rewarded with as-yet-to-be-determined prizes. Answers composed in Latin to earn bonus points.
7 comments:
de gustibus non est disputandum . . .
I agree, but (to quote Tombstone):
eventus stultorum magister (est).
I have no idea what any of the above says, but I fully support the idea of a tongue-in-cheek latin tattoo. I knew a girl once who had the Chinese character for "eggs benedict" tattooed on her neck. It was the funniest thing ever.
What about a serious Latin tattoo? Also, a neck tattoo? That's really serious.
sic gloria transit
http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2008-03/criminals-with-forehead-tattoo-father-son.jpg
vestri matris nixes tatoo
Post a Comment