9.19.2008

Ramblings! Now with footnotes.

I'm a little bit nervous about the trajectory work seems to be taking. Not so much that I'm not getting any done, but more like the project I had imagined may not materialize. It's too early to worry and too specific to get into specifics, but unease is making its presence felt. Don't you worry, though. That's for me to do.

On a related note, should I really be sharing this? First of all, I don't want to worry anyone else and suffering manfully in silence is quiet and manful, two things I think we should all aspire to be more of. Except the ladies.[1]

Second, this isn't exactly either complaining or an attempt at humor, which is to say, that which I understand to comprise the vast majority of the content here. It is about me, which is true of effectively 100% of this blog, so there's that. But is being about me enough to make it important enough to make it enough worth writing about that enough people will want to read it to justify the investment? I can honestly say I have no idea, though the fact that I've just written this all down suggests that my honesty may be feigned, or that human beings are capable of holding multiple contradictory ideas in their head simultaneously while also acting on at least one of them. Or both?

So what's a guy to do?[2] I suppose I could attempt to be entertaining through a mix of rhetorical flourishes, verbal shortcuts, lists and elusive allusions, as I have been doing to a greater or lesser degree since day one of this internet-based self-revelation enterprise, aping with sometimes more but usually success aspects of other people's style. See toothbrush/toilet for further information / primary source documentation of this phenomenon.[3]

Have you noticed the way that I used fake/real navel-gazing as a way to slowly move this post away from talking about what I really thought I might say when I sat down to start writing? This has artfully allowed me to move the topic of this monologue away from an uncomfortable topic towards something I can write about much more easily: myself. Or rather, writing about writing about myself. Or something. In any case, now having made reference again obliquely to the difficulties I foresee potentially cropping up down the road, I'm left with an additional challenge. Can I either deal with these fears or yet again direct attention away from my preoccupation with work toward topics more easily treated in a dry and unserious way?[4]


[1]Unless they want to.
[2]Besides ask rhetorical questions, I mean.
[3]Do I signify by 'phenomenon' the act or the individual? Let us meditate momentarily on whether the true power of language rests on its capacity to identify particulars or rather on its ability to signify multiple mutually exclusive quantities at the same time.
[4]No.

No comments: