I need to get a handle on this whole food situation. Life here is made difficult by any number of circumstances, but the most serious of these is actually a conjuncture of circumstances:
(1) I am lazy.
(2) I am not an especially creative or resourceful cook.
(3) Grocery stores here do not stock many of my staples. Peanut butter.
(4) The exchange rate makes me mildly paranoid about spending money.
It's funny how time can erase or elide some parts of one's memory. It was only six months ago that I was here, and yet somehow in that time I'd forgotten how much of a pain keeping myself fed was the last go round. This go round will also be complicated by the fact of roommates: perhaps I can use them as a resource to learn a bit more about staple cooking in Italian homes, but they also limit rather dramatically the refrigerator space available to me. Sharing a small refrigerator with 2 other people is rough enough, but when two more roommates move in we're going to be four people (plus occasional guests/boyfriends) sharing a single kitchen and refrigerator, neither of which is especially spacious. Now may not be the winter of our discontent. But alls I'm going to say is that the seasons may be changing fast around here.
Still, anyone who knows me knows this : if there is one challenge that I am capable of meeting any time, any place, it's the challenge of eating. Now I'm going to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment