11.13.2008

Rumblings in the direction of a night of drinking never quite turned into more than rumblings. Or, more accurately, I misforecast the rumbling of thunder on the horizon as the rumbling of a night of debauchery. It rained. A lot. It does that frequently these days. So I stayed in.

In other news, I am still feeling extremely run down, so I made my new go-to meal for times like this:

tomato pulp
ground beef (some)
onion (smallish)
garlic (1 clove)
salt
sugar
pepper
rosemary (or basil, or some other herb)

cook the onion (chopped) and garlic briefly in olive oil until it seems ok, then add ground beef and brown. then you add the tomato, plus salt and sugar in a roughly 2:1 ratio, usually about a teaspoon of sugar. sprinkle black pepper and an herb of choice over the top. then you put the heat on low-ish, and cook until the liquidy tomato concoction becomes more like a sauce. it's done (more or less) when it no longer tastes like raw tomato and/or when it has a thicker consistency. be sure to stir occasionally. it usually takes 25 minutes or so to cook but if you make a bigger sauce it will take longer.

One thing you may note about this recipe: none of the quantities is exact, which seems to be the Italian way. Another thing you may notice if you make it: it is super easy and delicious. I don't want to talk smack about my own father's cooking abilities, but let me just say that I have found the thing that I will cook for the child(ren) should Katina be out of town whenever or if ever I should become a father. Pasta: it's better than tacos.

3 comments:

Robin Miner said...

Hey! This is a lot like my meatloaf recipe. Maybe it will be one of you future family's favorites!

Steve O said...

I don't want to knock your pasta before I try it, but don't knock tacos. I love tacos. In fact, when I go to the grocery tomorrow to start preparing for thanksgiving, I just might get a whole box of taco shells. There. I said it. I love tacos.

jdm said...

I love tacos too, but there comes a time in a young man's life when he has to look fate straight in the eye and decide whether he wants to live shackled to the cheap deliciousness of tacos for the rest of his life or, whether he wants to step forward, to an equally cheap but infinitely more flexible carbohydrate base.