4.02.2008

…one last item. There is one thing I saw here that will forever remain shrouded in the mists of mystery, or at least unphotographed – you can think of this as my/your own Loch Ness Monster if you will. There is, some experts believe, a group of what appear to be Native Americans … or at least lightly brown-skinned dudes who could have passed for Mexican (or Ecuadorian, which is 1000 times more common in Genoa) if not for the fact that they were dressed up in full on chieftain headdresses and heavily fringed leather … that make down by the harbor what could very well be traditional Native American music, by which I mean that I’m no expert but they were not shy about trying to be as stereotypically Native American as humanly possible – playing some flutes and singing some generally unintelligible rhythmic whatnots over a couple of drums. In case viewers of the spectacle might be unclear, they also displayed some blankets, and the (apparently fake?) head of a buffalo in front of their performance. They also had huge speakers and were selling CDs. This is, in effect, the Holy Grail of things I never expected to see here in Genoa. I did a for-real double-take when I saw them, out by the harbor, playing up a storm.

Below is an artist’s rendering of what some scientists claim to believe may well have been what this might have looked like. Allegedly.


2 comments:

Erika said...

Hilarious! Though I'd like to believe that the fringe is to scale and that one of the performers is actually a disco-era John Travolta.

jdm said...

It's a poorly known fact that John Travolta didn't actually develop a nose until the late eighties.