3.07.2005

In case you thought it was all bad news, all the time out here in CA:

I just got a free bike. It's greenish blue, somewhat weather-beaten, and totally awesome. Shifting gears works fine, although the bike is somewhat tempermental and will switch down a gear every so often in an attempt to assert its own authority. The pedals show signs of rust, and the pedaling mechanism isn't exactly the steadiest. This bike is a beater. Functional, sure. But definitely a beater.

Also, as I stood and discussed the pros and cons of my new machine with its previous owner, I swear to you that the bike vibrated, almost like a pager. Is it haunted? Does this bike have a mind of its own? Is it happy to be owned by me? I'm not sure. But as I look out my window at the bike rack where it awaits me (restively, I'm sure), I get the sense that this bike is all right.

I imagine that it was pretty apparent from only the briefest glance that I haven't ridden a bike since the age of thirteen (10 years ago. 10!) as I wobbled my way home, nearly clipping 2 trees and 3 parked cars. Riding in a straight line pretty much escapes me at this point, but I feel like a new Era of History has begun. An Age of freedom, of broken shackles and triumphal overstatement. The possibilities I see just on the horizon are endless. And frankly, it's pretty terrifying.

You know, I kind of like walking places. Feet are what God gave us to get from Point A to Point B. Feet are natural. I can't help but feel that this bike is, well, not. It just feels a little unnatural. My legs and feet have been teaming up to get me where I'm going for 23 years. And now I'm going to just sell them out? And for what? A cheap thrill? An opportunity to cut my 12 minute commute to class in half? What can I say? I'm a sucker for a pretty face. And the slightly wind-blown look of my hair when I got done riding was sweet.

As I was locking my new old bike up, it occurred to me that my bike needs a name. The best I could come up with at the spot was The Spanish Inquisition, mostly because my two primary emotions while riding it were fear and surprise. But I haven't settled on a name yet. Input welcome.

No comments: