11.04.2004

I was arguing last night on the phone about this, and I thought I would throw it out to you to see what you think.

So, it's about 8:30 on a Wednesday night. I've been working hard. My eyes are dry and my stomach is a-rumblin'. Now, it's too late to think about preparing something complicated from scratch. I need to eat. Now. What is my first recourse? The refrigerator. I'm thinking of making myself some pasta, because pickings in the fridge are slim. But I get to worrying about the 10-12 minutes it will take to boil the water, and then the 8-10 minutes the pasta will take to cook and prepare. For those of you without calculators, that comes to 18-22 minutes. An eternity. And then I see something lurking in the back of the fridge.

There, behind the pasta sauce, behind the bread, behind the lunchmeat and the thawing chicken breasts lies a tupperware container filled with some leftover oatmeal I made for breakfast 5 or 6 days ago. It looks fine. It smells fine. I take a small taste. Tastes good. But it could taste better. And since I don't feel like adding apple sauce to it, I heap up some shredded cheese on top, microwave the whole mess, stir it up and eat. Just for the record, it tasted fine.

But apparently this strikes some people as weird/gross, because it took me a good 5 minutes to convince DirTina that yes, in point of fact, I really had eaten oatmeal with cheese. Is that so strange? It wasn't filet mignon, but it actually tasted just fine. Seriously, what's so gross about that?

No comments: