6.10.2008

Developments.

An irreducible / supra-rational desire I have: to live without the television.

There is construction on the roof of our building. This has resulted in the (temporary) removal of the satellite receiver we use to get television. The distance between thought and deed (effort) had previously militated against any kind of anti-television action on my part. Now that someone else has removed the dish, however, my previously unrealizable dreams have been made reality and a grand experiment can now begin.

A secret plan I am hatching: to live without the television.

When I have brought up the possibility of going TV-less with my life partner, the response has generally been less than positive. So we're going to keep this our little secret.

Notes for a discussion / argument that could be arranged to discuss the possible future return of the television:
(1) Me: Productivity increases, etc.
Other me: Max Weber is full of it and your Protestant Ethic is still in middle school playing Civ II.
(2) Me: Reality television and other cancers on the American psyche
Other me: If one has a medical condition that causes unavoidable extreme body odor, can one legitimately call this a virtue? sc. being out of touch
(3) Me: Sports.
Other me: On the futility of using reverse psychology on one's self
(4) Me: autocratic decisions in re television and their probable (negative) repercussions for those cohabiting
Other me: The good of the many outweighs that of the few, but the many are incapable of perceiving the good?

In other news, I have recently discovered mosquito bite on my face. And on my ear. I will now go and take care of those things.

5 comments:

Wugan said...

Kathi and I appreciate the blog posts. Keep them coming so we can enjoy a laugh and not feel quite so far away from SF.

kristina said...

the Top Chef finale is tonight. Try not to ruin Katina's life, please. :)

JD said...

How could you betray your teacher/mother/secret lover? And what did television ever do to you anyways? Besides the hours and hours of free entertainment, that is. Case closed.

Steve O said...

Don't give up on TV - it never gave up on you. Even despite the Hills and She's Got the Look, TV still loves you. And don't give me any of that "let your love go, and if it comes back to you..." crap. TV's love demands your loyalty, and possibly buying some advertised goods.

dirteens said...

All I have to say, oh darling spouse of mine is NETFLIX ON DEMAND!!! Booya!