6.24.2004

Latin continues its steam-roller like assault on my daily routine. Although I have mounted a valiant rear-guard action just like Roland in the pass of Roncevalles, the twin Saracen (or Basque, depending on how historically accurate you want to be) columns lead by "class-time" and "study-time" continue to wreak havoc on my precious precious olive orchards and date palms. It will be many years before the mental agriculture system returns to its strict cycle of three years of cultivation followed by 1 year of lying fallow. Although I have allegedly had most of this material before, this has really only provided me with a bit of breathing room in which to appreciate the direness of the situation I have gotten myself into. Out of sheer laziness I am doing things like simply copying and pasting the texts of e-mails I have written and then posting them on my blog (allegedly the source of some or all of this e-mail).

In order to give my life back the freewheeling spirit that characterized it for so long, I have decided to mount a new campaign in my free time. This will henceforth be known as: Project Strange Brew, in which I devote inordinate amounts of energy into convincing other people to watch Strange Brew and also to increasing the number of viewings of Strange Brew in my recent past as high as possible. Worry has been expressed in certain quarters that I am perhaps building the movie up to be much better than it actually is. To you, my doubters, I say, Rick Moranis is in this movie. How bad can it actually be?

Yesterday at approximately 5:30PST I had my first run-in with student activism at Berkeley. Actually, it was neither "student" nor particularly active. Apparently there are some people in the neighborhood that are upset about a brief written by one of the law school professors here and they decided to stage a little protest. Emphasis on little. Also, based on the median age of the crowd (58.4 years) there couldn't have been more than one or two actual students in the group. And I don't think there were more than 30 or 40 people at most. They marched from the BART station up to the law school and only about half of them were chanting. The other half looked too winded from their walk uphill to the school to do much but pant. I'm not sure what exactly they did when they got to the law school (Drrty Tina wanted to go make dinner, so we didn't follow them) but since the law school closes at 5 during the summer, there wasn't a lot they could really do once they got there. I've got nothing against a good protest, provided it's more than half-assed, but this one just smacked of laziness.

A big "Congratulations!" goes out to BLawson (the Elder) and DWilson on their engagement. You guys are undeniably awesome. I don't know why two people as nice as you would want to live in as crappy a place as New Jersey (actually, I do) but I'm sure that everything will work out. Kudos!

No comments: