11.14.2006

On the subject of irrationally animated reactions I have had to things not worth getting excited about lately:

Elton John believes we ought to ban religion because "Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate." This is among the stupider things I have heard recently. We should ban religion because it "doesn't work"? What work exactly is religion supposed to do, pray tell? Also, does anyone seriously believe that 'religion' is fundamentally about compassion? As someone with an increasingly leftist-hippie-nonsense haircut, I call that some leftist hippie nonsense. Not only that, Elton John, but where do you get off talking about whether or not religion 'works' or not? Last time I checked your national church had faded so far into the background of English life that it had cultural significance on the order of a nose hair trimmer.

No comments: