10.17.2005

Given the state of things on the Island, there is a very good possibility that I will be closing out the library on a daily basis for the forseeable future. Before I go beneath the surface, however, I thought I would try and share with you some things. Important things. Things about football.

Seen:
(a). dilapidated MARSH hand-towel from circa 1998 bearing the Colts' slogan for that year, "Do the Blue" pinned to an equally dilapidated sweatshirt on a slightly-more-dilapidated Colts fan at Monster Park last Sunday
(b). fight between Colts fan(s) and 49ers fan(s)
(c). Alex Smith's impression of a ham sandwich
(d). Dwight Freeney's impression of a man extremely hungry for a ham sandwich

Also, the first quarter of Monday Night Football was everything I feared would happen prior to kickoff. Cf my notes on the game:
6:02
Ray Romano, what are you doing on my television?
Should I worry that the entire ESPN crew (obviously idiots) picked the Colts?
6:03
the Mike Martz storyline makes me very very nervous. our defense - wait! did John Madden just make a good point? did I just hear him say that "it's too early to get excited" about Indianapolis's defense?
6:07
Is it a problem that I can't tell the difference between commercials and the intro to Monday Night Football?
6:08
Most likely part of the Colts to have the wheels come off in numerical order:
(1). Special teams
(2). Defense
(3). Offense
1st play: 9.5 yard gain to STL TE


Now, except for being slightly wrong about the chronology of which part of Indy would have the wheels come off first (it was the defense) I think you can (and should) read between the lines and understand the fear that gripped me as I walked home, trying to beat the start of the game. As it turns out, my fears were (somewhat) unfounded. Every game needs a narrative structure to succeed as entertainment. This one did not fail in that regard. Still, when I come home from class in an already dubious mental and emotional state, I'd rather not have the leash jerked quite so hard. I'd like to write more (I'd also like to have more to say) but the new regime around here has me going to bed soon (midnight), getting up by eight every day, and working for pretty close to all the hours inbetween.

No comments: